The Stonewall cellar is situated on a picturesque farm near Somerset West, dating back over two centuries. The farm was bought in 1873 by the De Waal family who promptly changed the name from Verdruk Mij Niet (Don’t oppress me) to a more upbeat Happy Vale. The actual Cape Dutch Homestead however dates back to 1853. The farm then became the property of De Waal Koch, grandson of owner Koos De Waal’s brother, in 1984.
In 1997 a decision was made to bottle under the farm’s own label – Stonewall, aptly named because of the historic ringmuur (low wall) that surrounds the farmyard.
The small range of quality wines include: Cabernet Sauvignon, the delectable Rubèr (a Cab/Cab Franc/Merlot blend), Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay. Since 2006 every vintage has also showcased one barrel of fortified Merlot. They also offer a Cabernet Sauvignon under a second label called Druk Mij Niet.
The tasting room is housed in converted stables which still displays the original trough. The simplicity of the soft yellow walls and the rustic aspect of the original features infuse visitors with a comforting feeling of welcome and bonhomie.
- Winemaker: De Waal Koch
- Monday to Sunday: By Appointment
- Public Holidays: By Appointment
- Religious Holidays: Closed
Seasonal hours may apply. Phone ahead before visiting to confirm times and avoid disappointment.
- Telephone: +27 21 855 3675
- Cellphone: +27 83 310 2407
- Fax: +27 21 855 2206
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.stonewallwines.co.za
- Physical Address: R44 (between Stellenbosch and Somerset West), Stellenbosch
- Postal Address: PO Box 5145, Helderberg, 7135
- GPS: 34°1'59.0"S 18°49'14.6"E
Last updated 16 May 2016. Report an error.